Check out 'Video Gallery Pro jQuery Addon for Visual Composer' on #EnvatoMarket by @themeofwp #codecanyon https://t.co/k5JZiSokp0
3 years Ago
Charlyne Yi has spoken out about her experiences of working on “The Disaster Artist,” which she said she tried to quit because of accusations of sexual assault being faced by the movie’s lead actor and director James Franco.
Yi, who played costume designer Safowa Bright-Asare in the movie, posted on Instagram Thursday calling Franco a “sexual predator” and Seth Rogen an “enabler.”
Yi wrote that she tried to “break legal contract” and quit the movie because of Franco, but the filmmakers offered her a bigger role in the picture — which Yi said she saw as an attempt at bribery. Insider has reached out to Warner Bros for comment.
“I cried and told them that that was the exact opposite of what I wanted, that I didn’t feel safe working with a f—ing sexual predator,” Yi wrote.
“They minimized and said Franco being a predator was so last year and that he changed… when I literally heard of him abusing new women that week.”
A post shared by Charlyne Yi (@charlyne_yi)
Yi also wrote that “enablers are just as toxic and are abusers, too,” and called Rogen an enabler. “Seth Rogen was one of the producers on this film so he definitely knows about the bribe and why I quit.”
Representatives for Franco and Rogen did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.
Yi, who previously worked with Rogen on 2007’s “Knocked Up,” her first-ever movie credit, wrote: “White men saying it’s not their responsibility when holding Franco accountable, or when holding Seth Rogen and enablers accountable,” Yi wrote. “Then whose responsibility is it? The women and children who have PTSD from Franco? Or the future targets of abuse?”
“White men perform infantilism when it comes to sacrificing their white supremacy and patriarchy because they actually don’t give a f–k.”
Franco has been the recipient of multiple allegations of sexual misconduct. In 2014, a 17-year-old girl shared screenshots of messages between her and Franco that showed Franco trying to get her to meet him in a hotel room. Franco, who was 35 at the time, confirmed that he had sent these messages.
Later, in 2018, Franco’s former girlfriend Violet Paley alleged that Franco once tried to force her to give him oral sex while in a car. Franco said that these allegations were “not accurate.”
—Violet (@VioletPaley) January 8, 2018
Also in 2018, the Los Angeles Times reported that five women were accusing Franco of sexually inappropriate behaviour that occurred at Franco’s acting school Studio 4, which shut down in 2017. Two of the women filed lawsuits in 2019, but they were both settled in February this year. Franco denied all allegations via his attorney.